Raj Patel: How to Be Curious About the Green Revolution
- Vandana Shiva is unreliable therefore all critiques of GMOs are too.
- Farmer suicides aren’t about GMOs so we can stop worrying about them.
- The Green Revolution is worth repeating, because what we need to feed the world is yet another boost in food production.
- Specter’s ad hominem isn’t a substitute for good argument.
- Farmer suicides are a serious problem, in India and elsewhere, and have much to do with farmer debt. If you’re interested, Stuffed and Starved has a whole chapter on how suicides from the US to the UK to India are linked, and have much to do with the modern food system. Louis Proyect’s piece at Counterpunch makes the argument about debt nicely. Specter himself has dismissed Proyect as “perfect for Marxists flattering frauds” (though it could also be that he’s dismissing Mark Bittman’s tweet about Proyect, thus inverting the designation of Marxist and fraud. Twitter is an engine of ambiguity).